Select Page

electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

Home page Forums CIC – Study Permits, TRVs, Work Permits electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #1366

    Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) is introducing a new Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) for all visitors from visa-exempt countries. The move affects all international students planning to study in the country. The eTA will be mandatory as of March 15, 2016. For more information visit the CIC website at:

    Information from CIC website:
    Study in Canada

    Study and work permit holders from visa-exempt countries who received their permit on or before July 31, 2015 will have to get an eTA as of March 15, 2016 to return to Canada. Applicants who get their study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA along with their permit.

    The eTA is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

    Minor children travelling to Canada
    Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Read about the changes and how they may affect you.

    Children under the age of 18 are considered minors in Canada. They must follow the same rules to enter Canada as any other visitor.
    Minors who try to enter Canada without the proper documents, or who are with adults other than their parents or legal guardian(s), will be checked more closely.
    Border services officers are on alert for children who need protection and check very carefully for missing or runaway children. They may question you about children who come with you to Canada or question a child who travels alone. Make sure you have the proper documents with you.

    Example question posted:
    As an international student, can I return home or travel outside Canada during my studies?
    Answer posted:
    If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:
    • a valid passport or travel document;
    • a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada;
    • a valid visitor visa, if you are a citizen of a visa-required country. You must re-apply for a temporary resident visa (visitor visa) if:
    o your visa has expired; or
    o your visa was only valid for a single entry to Canada.

    • An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) by March 15, 2016 if you are from an eTA-required country and received your student permit before August 1, 2015 and you plan to travel from and return to Canada by air. Note: Students who get their study or work permit on or after August 1, 2015 will automatically be issued an eTA along with their permit
    Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) application
    In most cases, applicants will receive a confirmation from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) within minutes. However, some requests may need more time to process. If this is the case for your application, you can expect an email from CIC within 72 hours that tells you what your next steps are.
    Change of email address
    If you change your email address after you apply for an eTA, you must update your address online. You can do this with the case specific enquiry form.
    After you receive your eTA
    You will be notified by email when your eTA is approved. Your eTA is linked to the passport you used in your eTA application. You will need to present the passport you used to apply for your eTA to airline staff each time you board a flight to Canada.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.