Select Page

Impact of adopting later government exams

Home page Forums Labor Action Impact of adopting later government exams

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

Lori Kobelak’s comments and questions:

Our school district has decided to adopt the later government exam week, Feb. 2-6, 2015 with Semester two starting on February 10, 2015.

• who are other districts that are also doing this?
    • what will they do in terms of financial loss? i.e.
    – keep semester one students for an additional two weeks with NO extra homestay charge?
    – insist that all semester two students delay their airline arrival by two weeks (we have to as we do not have enough home stay families) thus having our agencies pick up the tap for the cost of airline changes?
    – Give semester two students a discount (rebate?) as they will have two fewer weeks at school?

Lori Kobelak
    Coordinator, International Student Programs
    Campbell River School District
    Phone: 250.923.4918 ext. 2237
    Cell: 250.204.4362
    Fax: 250.923.9525

Angela Ferraro
    Participant

Lori,

I’m struggling with the same issue. I’m sending out a notice with the date changes. We have a mix of linear and semester schools but align our linear school dates with that of our semester schools. Most of our departing January students are not going to write exams, so it does not impact their homestay cost. We will also say to agents that if a student needs to return earlier, we will make it work, so we hope not to incur any flight change fees.Those that do need to write exams are mainly our grade 12 graduating students. They won’t care re the added homestay cost.

RE the new students, like you, I am concerned re any flight change fees or them feeling they will receive 2 fewer weeks of instruction. We will deal with these on a case-by-case basis. We won’t give a rebate, as we didn’t give compensation for our one year students who lost the first 2 weeks of school.

Keep your fingers cross. Angela

admin
    Keymaster

Hi everyone,

We are doing our own assessments, although the teachers have the choice of doing theirs, for our first semester students who are all from Europe or Latin America. They will be leaving as scheduled with program issued final reports and certificates of enrolment.

Our new second semester students will arrive as scheduled and we will spend the first week of February doing orientation activities, including programming, along with a few team building recreational activities.

Actually it will be a pleasant change having some time with the second semester students before they start. The agents were certainly happy with these plans.

I hope this helps.

Scott

Dr. Scott Bergstrome
    Director
    Gulf Islands International Program
    School District 64 (Gulf Islands)
    112 Rainbow Road,
    Salt Spring Island, B.C.
    Canada V8K 2K3
    http://www.studyinbc.ca or http://www.studyinbc.cn

admin
    Keymaster

Hello from Kamloops,

These are good questions that Lori is asking and ones that I have also been challenged with. Our District’s dates have been adjusted. Although I have not had an official word regarding what I think will work for us, I am thinking about the following: Pls.see below…

Cheers,
    Carol

• who are other districts that are also doing this? Kamloops Thompson ~ SD73

• what will they do in terms of financial loss? i.e.
    -keep semester one students for an additional two weeks with NO extra
    home stay charge Our 1st semester students only will not stay longer; the full year
    students will fit into the new schedule
    -insist that all semester two students delay their airline arrival by two weeks (we have to
    as we do not have enough home stay families) thus having our agencies pick up the tab
    for the cost of airline changes? Our second semester students will arrive on schedule.

I am thinking that we will have a longer orientation with some activities for our incoming students until exams are over and second semester is in gear.

-Give semester two students a discount (rebate?) as they will have two
    fewer weeks at school? We do not anticipate any refund.

admin
    Keymaster

I am not sure my response to Lori’s posting got out, but our first semester students will be going home as scheduled. I always prepare their final reports and certificates of enrolment anyway so that is not an issue. The teachers have the option of providing semester end assessments, but should that not happen, we will do our own, probably something akin to a written reflective exercise. As you all know, we have considerable latitude when evaluating students who are not in the Grad Program. Our second semester students will arrive as scheduled and maybe even enjoy the orientation and recreational activities that are offered to them during the first week of February. The second semester tend to miss out on this kind of thing. I won’t be available for a conference call, which is why I am responding by email. By the way, we only have one student in the Grad Program who will be ending his studies in February. Apparently he won’t be going home right away so there aren’t any transportation issues and we will cover the cost of an extra week of homestay. I hope this helps in some small way.

Scott

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.